A10-Ballerina Update

Production underway

Hello A10-Ballerina supporters!

I’m happy to report production is underway and looking lovely. Here are some pictures featuring one of the ballerina variant torsos and a number of hand and foot variants already completed.

Once I have photos and video of the two completed ballerina age groups I’ll be sending everyone  a survey so you can descide which of the two you prefer to receive and where we should ship them.

There have been a number of challenges I’ve had to overcome to get to where things are today. The injection molding of course was the largest hurdle but thankfully that has stabilized.  Resin was another challenge to be able to produce brown pieces instead of the black ones you saw in the earlier injection molding examples.

Unfortunately I’m dealing with a new challenge this month which is our supplier is out of stock of the material we need to produce the brown plastic components and assures us they will have new inventory some time in August.    I’ve run completely dry of the material myself with all the experiments and trials I’ve been running over the last couple months and so until I can get a new delivery there are a number of components I simply won’t be able to manufacture.

What this means is that delivery of  your ballerinas may be delayed by one month (September instead of August).

I’m keeping an eye on it though and will be ordering resin as soon as it’s available again.  For now I’m focusing primarily on all the wooden components and will work on getting those out of the way.

thank you all for your patience and for your support of this project.

I’m thrilled with how things are turning out.

best wishes

Paul

Armature Ten Update

Hello A10-Ballerina supporters!

Ok so there is a lot to update you on but here’s a teaser to hold you over a little longer.

This image below shows an overview of what’s been going on design-wise with the project.

On  the far right are the early models/prototypes featured in the  campaign video

Then to the left are the two variants I’ve been designing through the aid of 3d scanning.  You’ll get to pick one or the other when I send the surveys out.

One of them my daughter and the other a professional model.  Both are 1/6 scale but the woman is meant to be short and petite for her age so that the figure is still only about 8-9 inches tall.

I’ll be talking about this and more, including what I’ve learned with injection molding and getting brown resin to work in the later update.

Production has begun for all the pieces that are injection molded (pictures to come on that as well).

But now need to finish designing the 3d printed components that will be made with the wood composite material and then begin production on those.

I’m still hoping to have everything completed by the end of August as originally promised.  Thank you all for your patience.

I’ve been collecting footage and images of the process and I’m still hoping to edit it all into a nice video for the next update.

Thanks again everyone 🙂

 

 

Evolutionary step for Ranger

Very happy to announce this cool little bit of improvement being made on Ranger. See that little shiny dot on the ball joint?  That’s the end of a half inch brass rod. It extends through the ball joint into the leg.  It essentially renders the joint really strong.  Even without this the joint was already pretty strong but every so often they’d break on some customers, prompting us to send out replacements parts every so often.

The incidences of this were incredibly rare, however.  What has really been the problem is the struggle to make the femurs have good cosmetic appeal because with 3D printing there’s a bit of a balancing act that needs to take place between cosmetic quality and strength.  Reason being, that if you want a part to be strong you need to print it solid. And on top of that you need to overheat the material AND over extrude it so that the bond between the layers is VERY strong.   All these things combined lead to poorer cosmetic results.  With this little improvement which only adds about 5 minutes of production time, it will allow me to print with settings that favor cosmetic quality while at the same time render a part that is even stronger than it was before.

It’s stuff like this that makes me wish I had a time machine so I could travel to the past and whisper everything I’ve learned in my ears.

Side note: What triggered this idea was knowing that A10’s Ballerina was likely going to be suffering from this problem even moreso than Ranger. When this came up as a solution, I immediately started trying it on Ranger and it works beautifully.  Recycled a bunch of femurs just now and making all Rangers built starting today with this new approach.

www.armaturenine.com

 

Big step forward

Taking a big “step forward” in this ongoing evolutionary saga couldn’t be more literal than it is is today.

Because as of today all of our 1:6 products will have injection molded KNEES!! Which means you can also buy the knees all on their own here:

https://armaturenine.com/create_onesix.html  Just $4 for all four parts and all eight screws and fasteners (notice the special coupon code at the very top for those just buying pieces and not entire armatures).

So to be clear, for those who have placed orders that haven’t shipped yet, rest assured yours will come included with these knees and you’ll be getting  a $10 refund to reflect the new reduced pricing for all of our 1:6 products that use this part.  3D printing renders a huge failure rate during manufacturing and assembly (especially on this particular part, meaning I had to go through sometimes up to 6 pairs of knees before arriving at a pair that worked and or looked good).  With injection molding these knees now have a failure rate of near 0%.